Anti-social behaviour (ASB) means a wide range of unacceptable activity and includes things like vandalism, graffiti and fly-posting, nuisance neighbours and intimidating groups taking over public spaces. Anti-social behaviour can ruin lives and create an environment where more serious crime can take hold.

Your local authority, the police and social landlords all have strong and effective powers to deal with anti-social behaviour problems.

Reporting ASB

If you want to report anti-social behaviour or a crime that is not an emergency, you should call Essex Police on 101 or you local council's anti-social behaviour team.  In an emergency, you should always call 999.  An emergency is:

• when a crime is happening

• when someone suspected of a crime is nearby, or

• when someone is injured, being threatened, or in danger.

Alternatively, if you want to remain anonymous, you can pass on information about crimes to the independent charity, Crimestoppers, either on 0800 555111 or via  Information is taken 24 hours, seven days a week.

Case study

Tara, 32, endured four years of anti-social behaviour outside her home, before she decided enough was enough and decided to get help.