This website brings together useful information about what to do if you have been a victim of crime in Essex, Southend or Thurrock and where you can go for help.  If you would like to report a crime you should contact Essex Police on 101 or 999 in an emergency.

This website provide information and signposting to practical and emotional support to help deal with the impact of a crime, even if you don’t want to report it to police or it happened in the past.  The support can be tailored to your particular situation, and specialist services are available for victims of the most serious crime such as rape and sexual violence.

To find out more about what help is available for you, just look at the pages under the coping with crime section in the header above.  If you feel that you need more general help and advice for a topic not mentioned, then contact Victim Support

You may be interested to know more about what support you can expect as a victim of crime; this has been outlined in the government's code of practice for victims of crime document.

Related questions

How do I know if I’m a victim of crime?

The national Code of Practice for Victims of Crime (October 2013, Ministry of Justice) defines a victims as:a person who has suffered harm, including physical, mental or emotional harm or economic loss... Read more

How do I report the crime to the Police?

Dial 999 in an emergency.   You can also call the non-emergency number 101 or call in at your local police station. If you have a hearing or speech impairment you can use Essex Police’s... Read more

I haven’t reported the crime to police – can I still get help?

Yes you can.  You may not want to report to the Police, or may not feel ready for example if you are in an abusive domestic situation.  If you are or have been a victim of crime, or have been... Read more